KUNDRATHUR

        Recently I visited Kundrathur a small town 25 kms from Madras to satisfy my long felt desire of visiting the Murugan temple there.  I went by my motorcycle and it took me hardly 1 hour.  You have to take a right diversion at Porur junction from Mount Poonamalle Road and proceed 10 km to reach Kundrathur.  The temple is situated 1.5km from Kundrathur Bus Stand and is on a small hillock.  It is a very small temple probably constructed during the reign of Kulothunga Chola.  I could find epigraphic writing on the walls of the temple.  The presiding deity of Lord Muruga is with his consorts Valli and Deivanai.  I had a satisfactory darshan.
       Just on the way back around  200 metres back from the hillock there is a temple dedicated to Perumal called Thiruooraga Perumal temple.  It is a very small temple maintained neat and clean.  The Thayar is called Thiruvirandavalli thayar and is by the side of main Sannidhi..  There are also separate sannidhis for Anjaneyar and Andal.  The  temple must have been more than 400 years old as seen by the structure and the inscriptions on the pillar which sadly has been whitewashed.  However the main temple tower is of recent origin.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ananda Vikatan 1945

Holiday list 1832

Hazarat Dastagir Sahib Dargah, Triplicane, Madras